Wednesday 19 February 2014

Save me, oh father!


One of the evenings when my wife was away travelling out of town on work, I sat down in front of the TV, dealing with the prospect of feeding dinner to our two boys. I sat on the bed with a plate of food in my hand, as our 7-year old had successfully negotiated for himself the No-TV-No-Dinner clause. Lacking adequate backup support, I gave in rather easily - only to pull rank and insist that we watch Mahabharat (yes, I am a keen follower) instead of Doremon. For those of you who are new to this series of Mahabharat, it is a welcome change from the BR Chopra fare that most of us grew up on. It is refreshing to watch a series that captures the true essence of the multi-faceted characters in all their various shades – good, bad and ugly (my parents’ generation completely disagrees with me though).


So it was with eagerness that I switched to the current episode being aired. The episode showed the birth of Draupadi and her emergence from the yogic fire which her father King Drupad had ordained for the birth of a son. I watched as Drupad, saddled with a girl-child, unleashed his wish for the choicest of hardships that he wanted for this unwanted daughter. I was amazed. It seems like over so many millennia nothing much had changed. Parents still don’t care much for unwanted daughters in this country.  And they still condemn these daughters to a fate of death as an infant or a life full of indignity. Extremely cruel, heartless and inhuman, isn’t it?

The thought of the ill-fated daughters of this country lingered on as I flipped through the pages of my bedtime read. I wondered what kind of lives would the ones who are spared death through infanticide and foeticide, be leading. How would they be treated every day of their existence? What hardships would they be facing from all quarters of their cruel world? In their father’s house and then in their husband’s house. Somewhere in my thoughts and surely at a late hour, exhausted from the weight of these dark thoughts, I dozed off.

Only to wake up the next morning in a somber mood. The day went along taking me from one place to another, one email to another, one conversation to another and one meal to another. And as I performed my duties at my day job something didn't change. It wasn't just what was on my mind the last night - something more had ticked me off. Something else, another thought was on my mind which I had not yet discovered. Selfishly, I reasoned with myself – why should I, a father of two boys, be worried so much about the girl child? I reasoned that it was not my lot, I reasoned that this will never be my reality and I thanked God that at least this aspect of parenthood will never bother me as I would never be entrusted with the responsibility to bring up a girl.

I was safe. As a parent of just boys I didn't really need to answer the media or the educated lot like myself who have obvious discomfort with the way we treat women in this country. It was clear to me that I as a parent was seemingly not in the eye of the storm and the possibility of me being chastised on an Arnab Goswami show was quite bleak. After all I was safe in our sexist society (both the all-macho and all-feminist sects included).

But this feeling of safety didn’t really help and I still fumbled with what it was that was making me dwell so much on parenthood. Wait a second. Was it parenthood, I mean just plain parenthood, I mean just plain parenthood sans sexual bias for my offspring that was on my mind? Was it just the moment of doubt that parents have (most that I know of any way have)? Yes, I guess the question that was niggling me was, am I doing the best I can as a parent? And here is when I asked myself, is this the only way in which parents can be cruel to their offspring? Does cruel sound too strong a word? Ok, let’s rephrase. Is this the only way in which parents, whether or girls or boys, be unmindfully insensitive to their children? Or just be selfish to the point where parents can’t think beyond themselves, while convincing ourselves that we are thinking of our children? And the mind galloped off to a scene from an old 80s Bollywood movie - Kasam piada karne wale ki - where the mother stands in the rain with her infant son, convinced that she needs to make him a man strong enough to avenge his father’s death. Before I felt embarrassed about my choice of movie and said what the hell, the thought struck me bang between my eyes with absolute clarity. The eternal parental trap!

In my view, the three common parental traps that can have a big impact on the personality of children, and can often prove detrimental to how they turn out as individuals when they grow up.
·         I could not accomplish this but I will surely enable my child to accomplish it.
·         I /our clan/our family has accomplished so much and my child must measure up to it.
·         I am a modern liberal parent who believes that whatever (I mean “WHATEVER” literally) my child does is ok.

The funny thing is parents do this to whatever degree with the best interest of their children at heart. Honestly parents do this in all earnestness so that their children can make something out of their lives, climb up the achievement tree, secure more financial assets, get recognition from society, carve out an identity for themselves or just have comfortable lives full of happiness. “Am I doing the best I can as a parent” kind of moment.

But is it really about what the parent wants (as happiness or any other adjective) for the child, or is it really about what the child wants out of life? Who has the right to determine what should be a child’s destiny? The parent? Or the child? And if I can’t decide my child’s destiny, what good am I as a parent? Can I look beyond this trap?



********



Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh advises The Potter's Earth team on commercio-legal aspects and brings in the black hat thinking that is so critical to a young startup that sometimes cannot look beyond the stars in their eyes.

A believer in the value of long-term relationships, an avid reader of texts about India, mythology, religion and psychology, and a firm propounder of the fact that following your dreams can take you to newer heights of excellence - that’s Saurabh for you.

He is a management graduate from Symbiosis Institute, Pune. Having worked with  renowned companies that offered wide exposure on diverse technologies and environments, Saurabh possesses applied knowledge and expertise in creating opportunities and expanding businesses. He now works for Think Talent Services, a boutique consulting firm, as a People Development Consultant.

4 comments:

  1. Profound! Wish we parents stop and think sometimes. Whose dream is it really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more than what the child wants out of life parents are really worried about how much he wants from life. We dread our children settling down for less than what they deserve. Making the child realize his potential is paramount.
    Career choices can change but lifelong habits of ambition, industry, self belief are irreplaceable. Ambition to excel has to be instilled at young age. Danger of becoming pushy parents should not deter us into not working on our child enough. Once kids learn value of hardwork and routine then we can sit back and watch them carve their destiny. Till then there is little choice one has to get after them although yes the method and degree has to be tampered in accordance to the child’s response also the bar has to be repeatedly reset as per the results achieved. Rigidity seldom works but too much flexibility may also breed laxity.
    Like adults even young kids have their natural tendencies some are carefree and adventurous, some cautious and sensitive.These inherent character traits do influence a child in seeking his calling. I guess problem comes when we try to push a child away from his natural inclination. A child will eventually make his own career choice but we have to equip him to make the right choice according to his makeup.
    I agree the three traps stated by you prevent us from understanding the true nature of our child these thoughts cloud our judgment and influence the way we look at our kids. it breeds unnecessary insecurity, anxiety and disappointment which we cannot hide from our kids they can easily read ‘em in our eyes. If we are patient, relaxed and confident our kids will gain from the calming influence. u teach best what u need to learn most....above thoughts are reflections on what ought to be in my life as parent... they don't coverup for my present state of anxiety as a vagabond dad who has dumped the child rearing responsibility solely on mom ( decidedly a far better parent)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have read two very well written perspectives on the method of parenting and would love to add my own thoughts on this very tough job called parenting. i guess it is tough only for those of us who take the time out to introspect on their own performance as parents and who worry about going wrong and maybe causing more damage than good. wish there was a simple guide that could tell us the do's and dont's...but it so happens that we are all on our own doing the best we can. i agree with saurabh that we should not foist our ambitions on our kids and i also agree with bobby that we should teach them to do nothing less than what gives full credit to their inherent potential..... my personal view is that we should love our child for who he?she is rather than who we want him/her to be.nothing gives more confidence and self worth to the child as a parent's wholehearted appreciation ....we need to carry on being the best parents that we can be...

      Delete
    2. "you teach best when you learn the most"...so true Sandeep Khajuria. If only parents understand just this one thing...that their learning journey goes 'alongside' their child's!

      Delete

Hello there! Leave your comments here!