Tuesday 4 February 2014

My Muse - Part 2

I loved watching tv, and I read many books. Books about how people would have an unhappy time working for a company, and then they would suddenly find an outlet for their creativity and end up doing that. These stories made me think a lot. Will I be happy doing law? Fighting for justice?

I had already started studying for my entrance exams, but I did not like the process. I continued writing, because that was my only escape from legal aptitude tests. I wrote when I fought with friends, when I was hurt, when I was so happy that I could dance. I put down questions regarding myself, and I ended up answering them by the end of the page. It was a crazy feeling.




After my 12th, I was waiting for my results and during the same time the movie "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" was released. After I came out of the theatre, I had an epiphany. That movie, as cheesy as it was, showed me how passion could take us far. It could make someone so happy. When I confessed to my mother that I could not do law, she told me to follow my dream instead of what could be a steady career. She told me to imagine where I wanted to be in the next 10 years.

I could not imagine sitting and poring over files, working and arguing  and attending court hearings.

But I could imagine writing, even if it meant writing for someone else. Even as I write this blog post now, I feel exhilarated because I am able to express how I feel.

With that decision, I came to Mumbai to study. A different city, a change; it opened me up to a new perspective of my passion. Suddenly I had so much I wanted to write about, so many feelings to put into words. I started writing short stories, and I was amazed at how after writing one sentence of the story, I could write the next one in so many different ways. I could imagine my story play out in different scenarios.
Writing to me was like reading my favourite book over and over again, or dancing in the rain.

Today, as I pen this piece, I am happy and at peace. I can write freely and I hope to get better at it. My dream is to publish a book, and I am working on it. My favourite phrase is -

“Dream it, Be it”


I can happily say that I am doing what I love to do and I do not plan on giving up. This is my passion, and I am living it. 



________________________________________

Aashna Raja is a guest blogger for The Potter's Earth. 
 
She is studying for a Bachelors in Mass Media from Sophia College for Women in Mumbai. She loves writing short stories and reading books, and wants to pursue a career in Journalism. 
 
 __________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Leave your comments here!